Skip to posts
- Seasonality: Menu or products emphasize use of seasonal, fresh produce.
- Taste: Uses fresh and wholesome ingredients; food is prepared with care and craft.
- Community: Contributes to the uniqueness and richness of the Sacramento culinary community. Involved in advancing the awareness of Slow Food principles in the community through sharing time, talent, knowledge, and/or resources. Emphasizes seasonal, locally produced, fresh products and offerings through a variety of activities (education and outreach, delivery, special projects or programs, community involvement, volunteerism, etc.).
- Artisan: Presents or promotes fine food created by their own or the hands of other artisans; traditional foods are true to their cultural heritage.
- Authenticity: Heirloom varietals and heritage breeds are true to their evolutionary history.
- Sustainability: Establishment uses or encourages use of natural products free of additives and strives to incorporate local, seasonal foods on the menu. Uses meats, dairy, fish, and shellfish that have been produced responsibly, sustainably, and humanely from reputable providers. Produce is grown and harvested with methods that have a positive impact on our local ecosystems and promotes biodiversity.
- Low Impact: Produces food and/or uses products and processes that minimize waste and impact of food production/distribution (e.g., avoids single-use, nonrecyclable packaging/products; participates in recycling/composting and low-carbon delivery programs).
- Local Sources: Makes an effort to procure food sources in Sacramento, the Central Valley, and California. Or, is based in Sacramento or the Central Valley and has a mission that enhances the well-being of the community and region.
- Awareness: Establishment includes outreach and education for customers on the source of the products used. Educates about or advocates for the food system, sustainability, environmental awareness, or other Slow Food-relevant topics.
- Fair Business and Labor Practices: Contributes to the quality of life in the Sacramento region through fair employment practices; employees and/or volunteers are treated with dignity and justly compensated for their labor.